Thursday, September 4, 2008

Kosonom Szepen, the phrase of the day

INFO- MY BLOG IS NOW PUBLIC

The adress is http://vesvoyage.blogspot.com/

Today I got half a library card! it was very complicated, I was with this girl who speaks english but the woman behind the counter didn't and I had to run back and forth from the cloak room to get id's. So now I am allowed to go into the library, use the internet, and photo copy. But not check out books which is weird, I don't really know why.

My favorite hungarian saying right now is Nem Ertem, which means I don't understand. I use it quite frequently in fact.

Oh YEAH! I forgot, something totally out of the ordinary for me (but not for Hungarians) happened yesterday afternoon! The neighbor kids down stairs found a Greman grenade from WWII in the back yard! They called the police and they came and inspected it. Mira and I got a picture, hopefully I will be able to post it. But it was very strange. No one was like WOW, or thought it the least bit strange. I guess they find explosives all of the time around here. But weird, so many years later to still be finding grenades lying in a modern backyard behind an old wall.

Today was also my first PE class, or tesi, which I think sound very funny. It wasn't at all like a PE class I have ever had. We ran around in circles for a while and then played volleyball for a few minutes. No ultimate frissbee at all. Strange. But I got to meet more people from another class there. They all try to speak english and it is very cool to listen to the different accents they put on things.

Last night Szilvia and I went to a supermarket. I'm still getting used to all of the strange things there. Milk and eggs are not refrigerated, there are aisles or sour cream, and you have to put a coin in the cart if you want to use it.

After I got back from the library (I didn't get lost today!) I went to the post office and bought a student card. It should come in a couple of days and it will make everything easier. I have lots of id's in my bag right now.

Classes are starting to pick up. Lots to do and not much time. I am in the appartement right now, Mira should be back any second now. We are going to make fried zuccinni, which is good if it's cooked all of the way. We made fried 'pumpkin' (though it was a squash) last night, there is still so much left but it was SO good. I sugest that you try it. Just make sure that you don't make the peices to thick because it doesn't cook otherwise. It was just a fine layer of flour, egg, and a layer of corn meal I think. It was very good. Yeah, there is so much new food here, lots of it is recognisable but with twists. Like yesterday some people had pasta for luch and there were great bottles of ketsup that everyone put on their pasta. Furcsa. (strange)

2 comments:

Darwin said...

ve, if kosonom szepen is the phrase of the day...dont you want us to know what it means?

Tilderoma said...

fried zucchini was super popular in italy - zucchini frite... very yummy.
sometimes they fried stuffed zucchini flowers.

i would love to see the aisles of sour cream.