Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sziasztok!

It's now Tuesday and this last weekend was completely awesome! Just about as perfect as can be here. Last Thursday, after my school's graduation ceremony, I went with my friend to her country house way up near the Szlovakian border. It's not as uncommon here, as it is in the US, to have plot of land that you farm, but it was great. We got to do so many things, but my favorite was when she found all of these real traditional costumes, that her mom had, up in the attic. We got to try them on and parade around the garden. Pretty awesome. She has new kittens too, not to mention bats, lizards in the garden, a cat called 'Ördög' (devil), and a whole lot of other things. On Friday and Saturday, we got to work in the garden too, and I got to make two enormous bonfires! Pretty sweaty work, but FUN! Are you jealous Izzy? On Sunday we cooked a combination of British cuisine and Hungarian. I have to take some recipes back with me. We made sorrel (don't know how to spell that) soup, black root with walnuts, cheese (Worcester like from Wallace and Gromit) and a lot more! I got to crack open all of the walnuts. They grow most of the things themselves. Sunday, my friend's dad took me for a tour of the nearby town, Hollókő (raven rock). There was a sweet little village, very touristy, but real, with some ancient castles, and a great view! Don't worry, I have pictures.

OK, I have to go, I will tell you about yesterday's excursions later!

Vera

3 comments:

Darwin said...

YES lucky! Mom says we have sorrel in the graden, you can make us soup when you come back :)

B.W. said...

I've been trying to get you to eat sorrel and walnuts for years. Who knew that the secret was to let you eat them in Hungary?

Ve said...

they werent together, but they were good