Sunday, November 16, 2008

Snails in Trees
















This last week has been so busy, something most nights and after school. I guess that that is a good thing though.

Hetfo- Went to some cute little coffee shop in the Oktogon then stood around looking at all of the trains.

Kedd- Went on a wild goose chase through the market with a girl from school trying to find a lemon juicer with a handle. I know, right.
Szerda- I met the girl from Germany and a boy from Hong Kong at Moskva ter and we set out to find the Lions at Lanc Hid (Chain Bridge.) We walked along the Danube for about half an hour before we realised that we were going the wrong way. But that was fine. The Danube is so cool right now. It was all foggy and awesome. We did finally find the lions though (aren't you happy Izzy?) And yes I realise that I have (very) red eye in that picture. Afterwards we were standing at the metro stop and decided to try the roasted chestnuts that the little stall was selling. They were ok. First time for everything.
Csuturtok- Went to MOM park and then my first Hungarian class in about a month. We started the past tense.
Pentek- Friday was very interesting. I met some of the other AFSers after school and we went to this cafe where we ran into more exchanges from the US. They were from a couple different Rotary clubs I think, but that was cool. Then we went to this 'Blind Museum.' It was really interesting. The Hungarian tour guides led us around these rooms that were pitch black, not so much as a distant outline. There were rooms like kitchens, markets, streets, rain forests. By the end we could all tell who was standing in front of us by what their hair felt like. I still wonder what the rooms we like. The very last room was an imitation of a cafe. We could order something if we liked and try not to drop it. I was sitting on a couch with a couple of other girls when we realised that there was a fourth sitting between us and she wasn't talking. At first we thought she just didn't want to. But after a few minutes we began to really wonder why she wouldn't talk to us. We couldn't see her so we didn't know what was going on at all. When we finally tried to tell someone the whole place went quiet and one of the tour guides came in the dark and took her back outside. She had fainted and was fine in a minute, but it was kind of freaky. We had no idea that anything was wrong. Kind of makes you appreciate that you have eyes.
Szombat- We went to Szekesfehervar again. Made more tok soup. They tried to explain why it wasn't actually soup though. And it's not actually a stew. Apparently it is a Fozalak. Something that we do not have a word for in English. Kind of a thin vegetable stew with something else I don't know. Well anyway, don't call it leves, soup, or you will be corrected. Also, did you know that snails live in trees here? That was like, wow.
Vasarnap (today)- Not much today. I was going to go to this Museum that I keep seeing signs for everywhere for. It closes today, but I don't think I can make myself. Anyways, it might come to the US sometime. This afternoon Mira and I are going shopping I think. I don't know yet. So, that is my all so exciting week. Hope yours was fun! Sziasztok!
-Vera

3 comments:

Darwin said...

ahahaha lol :D
yay for lions and snails in trees!

margot said...

that sounds so awesome, everything you've been up to... how's in going in school? i still understand absolutely nothing, and i'd imagine it's even harder for you, since hungarian is so tough! and also i knew a little more german than you did when we left... i think.

are the kids nice to you? have you been forced to play volleyball?

margot said...

more german than you did hungarian, i mean.