Sunday, February 8, 2009

WOW! Yesterday was so awesome!

So, I'm in a little village near Székesfehérvar at the moment. I got here on Friday night. I just took the bus. It's called Mór and it looks just like something out of "A Year in Provence," right down to the crazy neighbor whose name I can't remember. Mom and Izzy, you know what I'm talking about, but it's beautiful! My week family has already taken me to so many places. We even went to Veszprém yesterday to an Állat Kert (zoo)! I also got to go to Balaton yesterday, an ancient church (crypt and all), Balaton Füred, and to a funny Hungarian movie called Made in Hungaria! I don't know if its out in the US or not.

So, I now have evidence that paprika can be used for everything from food to dyeing flamingos pink. That's right, at the zoo there was a little pond of flamingos with a sign stating " though flamingos normally receive their characteristic pink color from the crustaceans in their diets, that kind of food is out of the zoos budget. So instead we mix paprika into their food to turn them red!" Oh the miracles of paprika!

Today we went to a Mór-ian wine cellar! Its really mostly a restaurant now, but our table was in this old, massive barrel. Slightly claustrophobic but awesome!

Tomorrow I go to school with my week host sister! I hope its good! Sziasztok,

Ve

3 comments:

margot said...

sounds awesome. i love eating a paprika sauce that my host family buys here: pepper, eggplant and paprika relish! it's delicious -- and i think it might be made in hungary cause it's got interesting slavic-looking writing all over it.

Darwin said...

riviere!!!! the guys name is riviere! has he brought you a dead fox yet? will you be sending us fox pee?

Anonymous said...

Oh, how funny about flamingos and paprika..I can already hear your mom using that fun fact in a conversation that only your mom would have.....hahahaha