Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday, July 1, 2012


So this weekend has been very busy. Friday, I learned how the subway worked after acquiring a map of Beijing. I took it to an enormous temple in the center of Beijing, Yonghegong Temple. There was a lot of incense, I took photos, unfortunately I can’t send them.

Saturday, I took the subway to a museum labeled on my map. It was free for students! Only two exhibits were open though, out of seven. The first floor was calligraphy, and the second was a huge exhibit of handmade traditional Chinese toys from the 80s. Lots of two headed tigers :-)

Taking the subway back was just fine, but I exited on the wrong side and ended up physically blocked from the street that I needed in order to walk back to my dorm. I could see it, but I couldn’t get there. I ended up taking a taxi out of frustration. Taxis are very cheap here, so it didn’t matter very much, but I’m still confused about why they didn't build a connection across the bridge.

Saturday night we went as a group to the Beijing Opera. It was a lot funnier than I expected. I will explain more about it another time. On the tables (we had front row table seats, very classy) were tons of Chinese snacks, which were all great. There was also a martial art tea server who did a crazy trick with the tea pot while he poured our tea  :-)

So now it is Sunday and I need to do all of my homework.

~Ve







No comments: