Monday, June 25, 2012

2nd day in china-June 24th

Ni hao, ma! Sorry that it has taken me so long to post anything, it's nearly impossible to find internet here. Phones don't seem to work normally either, which makes any form of contact difficult.
So, the plane trip was exceptionally uneventful. Los Angeles was  gross though and the people decidedly unfriendly, but it was over in a mere 30 hours. When we arrived in Beijing we took some teeny train to get our luggage, and got picked up by a BLCU graduate student and very disgrunteled cab driver.

Then we got to the dorm, driving through crazy amounts of bikes and pedestrians, we met our professor, and were seen to our rooms. Zero happened in the day and a half that I spent in my room besides a lot of Chinese game shows and reality tv :-)

That morning, after being up all night, I went on a quest to find a grocery store. Several miles and mistaken attempts later, I found a gaggle of Chinese women with shopping bags after wandering aimlessly through some building for a while.

Happiness Mart, as it is called, had all the worldly possessions I could have asked for at roughly 1/5 the American price. Besides the shampoo and dinner plate I purchased, there were onions at 3 for 50c, a whole head of cabbage for the same price, and much more! So great! The one thing that really has surprised me is the distinct lack of tea sold. You can buy Lipgon or Lipton. Take you pick.


Posting  now, trusting the internet connection...

No comments: