Friday, December 12, 2008

Sziasztok! (pictures soon)

I am sorry that my posts are getting further and further between, but it is becoming harder to find good times to use the computer for more than a few minutes... Well anyway. This last week has been pretty good. The weekend was kind of an orientation from AFS, but not really. It was an optional weekend where we could go and live with temporary weekend host families and see more of the village of Szekesfehervar. I went and it was pretty cool. My weekend host family was nice. One of the girls is going to the US next year. She is very excited to become a cheerleader there (they don't have them in Hungary.) In Hungarian it is called pom pom lany. Literally pom pom girl. I thought that that was funny.

They also took me to see them practice synchronized swimming, which I have never seen before. Strange to see a load of Hungarian girls swimming in sync to High School Musical songs. We also went to the stables and the AFS Szent Miklaus party afterwards. The party, I guess, was to see more of the village, but the only thing that we really saw was this amazing clock tower that sung. I will upload it when I have a chance. (Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of the pictures because I am, again, in computer class at school right now.) So at the "party" every city chapter of Magyarorszag had to preform some kind of song or skit together. We had just heard about it so on the train we thought of our idea. You are never going to believe this Izzy, we make a Hungarian Christmas version of Boom Chika Boom (like from theater camp.) It was a Canadian girl who thought of it, but a German girl knew of it too! I would never have guessed that it was international! Cool. It was pretty great, then they made us sing Hull a Pelyes Feher Ho in Hungarian afterwards so that the host parents could understand what was going on.

There was a dance afterwards. Next day got the train back to Budapest where I had to pay full adult price by accident, which stunk. A whole 5 dollars. Oh well, that's OK. School all this week was pretty normal. I went with a couple of the other AFSers to see the Hungarian Music University (I can't remember the exact name right now) and then we got tickets to see one of the French boys in Budapest musical next week. It's the Nut Cracker, should be fun.

Christmas is making an appearance everywhere these days. My Magyar Irodalom teacher here in school has stapled chocolates all over her class room. They look nice, but all anyone in class can do is stare at the ceiling. Yum, chocolate... I got the Hersey's from the US, now that I mention it, and I brought a few of the to school and everyone loved them! Thanks Grandma and Grandpa T!

Yesterday I went all over Budapest in search of the cheapest Rubic's Cube that I could find. Found on for 800 ft at one point but I couldn't find it again when I went back to get it. Don't worry, 800 is a tiny number in forints. But now I have a Rubics Cube and I am determined to conquer it. OK, I guess that is about all right now. I am going to see my art teachers art exhibit today after AFS Hungarian lesson, then I don't know what. OK, hope everything in the USA is great!

-Vera

2 comments:

Darwin said...

a rubix cube is all algothrims...look them up.

Ve said...

i can do one side no prob.